Oak Balcony Cladding

After the facade was completed, we realised the old balcony cladding had to go. Fredrik had decided when we got the door that he wanted  to clad the balcony in Oak to complement the door, so he had bought the wood about a year ago, waiting for this opportunity.

We treated the Oak with teak oil to get the same look as the door. We used the structure of the existing balcony and covered it with wood.

The most difficult part of this was to remove the old cladding, it was built to last. Once we were half way done, we both kind of liked the balcony with gaps in between the wood, but to allow for more privacy, we decided to go with the original design.

We also laid new tiles over the old ones. Very happy with the result!

 

Before
IMG_5937

balcony before

After

IMG_7059Balcony after

Removing old cladding 

removing old cladding

It was hanging on for dear life!

preparing for new cladding

No more green!

IMG_6948

 

Applying teak oil to new cladding


IMG_6992IMG_6989

Grinding off the old metal 

tiling balcony

Laying the tiles

IMG_6998

Applying the first panels

IMG_7024

Gorgeous George!

 

IMG_7025

Half way done…

IMG_7032

Applying the second layer of cladding

IMG_7053

Hard at work…

 

IMG_7055 IMG_7056

 


‘You now have the best house in the Neighbourhood’

It was a risk, buying a house that looked like complete and utter #”%&, but we saw the potential. At first it wasn’t fun to see our friend’s reactions when they saw the house. Even with all of the warning that it is a full renovation, very run down, when people saw it there was only comments of ‘Oh. Wow. This is really a project.’ and it was actually like people felt sorry for us. It freaked people out, I think some people actually felt uncomfortable. We didn’t buy this thinking it would be easy, but we knew it would be rewarding and we knew we could make it amazing.

Maybe we are a little crazy, but we always had a vision and now it is finally starting to shine through. The new render on the facade is now complete and suddenly everyone is seeing what we knew would happen all along. It was one year ago that we moved in and now the neighbours are stopping in the street and saying ‘What a tranformation’ and ‘You now have the best house in the Neighbourhood’. While I wouldn’t go that far yet, it is shaping up to be a spectacular home and we are so proud.

Below are the before and after photos of the outside of the house. In these photos you can also see that the garden has been somewhat tamed in the last year, allowing for the house to actually be seen.

Now to get the top floor finished… 🙂

 

IMG_5903IMG_5921IMG_5937IMG_5918IMG_5909IMG_5906IMG_5902 Before PhotoIMG_5901
IMG_6635 IMG_6638IMG_6631IMG_6630IMG_6628IMG_6627IMG_6626IMG_6625IMG_6621IMG_6618IMG_6617IMG_6614IMG_6615

Concrete Benchtop 2.0

Those who read our previous blog on DIY benchtops maybe want to see the finished product, well after our first attempt, the result was:

IMG_6566

This wasn’t fun… we had used a steel reinforcement mesh which obviously wasn’t strong enough and we were only three people trying to move it. The weight is all centred in the middle due to the cut outs, so as soon as we transferred the weight… BANG (not a happy Amanda).

I was ready to go out and buy a benchtop but Fredrik talked me in to one last attempt. This time, we used a lot more steel reinforcement and rigged it up so that they wouldn’t sink to the bottom, very important as the bottom is actually the top!

So here is what we did –

IMG_6584 IMG_6585

IMG_6586

This time we learnt from our mistake and had 4 guys to lift all 250 plus kilograms of it in to place. It was a struggle, but the result was WELL worth it. The below photos are before sanding and treating. Will show the final result when I show the final kitchen! 🙂Concrete Benchtop DIY Concrete Benchtop

A whole new look…

Changing the facade is underway! This job we have outsourced… there are two guys who are doing an incredible job. Our original facade was an old rough render which had been patched and painted a million times, it was lose and falling off in many places. It also had the roots remaining from ivy that had grown all over it. What can I say about ivy? Well, that shit really sucks!

We have opted for a smooth render, painted white. It isn’t yet ready to reveal, it is completely rendered but the painting has just started on the front side. It is looking unbelievable! Below are some before and after shots. Will put all the photos up upon completion.

The whole game of replacing render, is a jungle. What to use, what to remove, how to make sure the house breathes. Crazy! We used render by Weber, with a glass reinforced mesh… along with other things I have no idea about… ask Fredrik. 😛 They started about two weeks ago and just have the painting to go. Definitely worth the investment!

We are totally in love with our new house! 🙂

Front door before:

photo (9)

 

Front door after render and paint:

IMG_6917

Applying new render to the front:

IMG_6683IMG_6678

Front before:

IMG_4257 - Copy - Copy - Copy

Front after all new windows, new render and painted:

IMG_6909

Side before:

IMG_4250 - Copy - Copy - Copy

Side after new window, window changed to door and removal of door:

IMG_6920