Those who read our previous blog on DIY benchtops maybe want to see the finished product, well after our first attempt, the result was:
This wasn’t fun… we had used a steel reinforcement mesh which obviously wasn’t strong enough and we were only three people trying to move it. The weight is all centred in the middle due to the cut outs, so as soon as we transferred the weight… BANG (not a happy Amanda).
I was ready to go out and buy a benchtop but Fredrik talked me in to one last attempt. This time, we used a lot more steel reinforcement and rigged it up so that they wouldn’t sink to the bottom, very important as the bottom is actually the top!
So here is what we did –
This time we learnt from our mistake and had 4 guys to lift all 250 plus kilograms of it in to place. It was a struggle, but the result was WELL worth it. The below photos are before sanding and treating. Will show the final result when I show the final kitchen! 🙂