Renovation Vacation

Now that our holidays have started it is time to really get cracking. We move in to the house in 3 weeks, so we need to make the inside a little bit more livable. We have prioritised one room downstairs which will be our temporary bedroom so we have done a quick paint job and thrown in some cheap floorboards. All experienced renovators tell us a fresh bedroom is REALLY important, so we have listened.

Sometimes it feels overwhelming, but we just need to keep focused and take it one step at a time.

Check out the photos of our progress:

The temporary bedroom:

Before:

IMG_3333

 

Is Fredrik renovating or Breaking Bad with Heisenberg? IMG_3492IMG_3495

It is a bit hot in plastic overalls:IMG_3498

Filling up the holes:

IMG_3579A coat of paint:bild (5)Floorboards in:
bild (3)

Just some skirting boards left and we can sleep in here… oh… and a new light!!

Some other happenings on the constructions site have included:


Deliveries galore from Beijer:IMG_3565

A much anticipated bin, the amount of rubbish is just ridiculous! IMG_3575


Fredrik aka McGyver decided to make it easier to get stuff in the bin so instead of walking down the stairs, he constructed this little platform for us to throw the rubbish from. The boy is a genius.IMG_3581

 

We’ve also began demolishing upstairs ready for our living area:IMG_3580IMG_3589IMG_3203

A Swede and a Sledge Hammer

Today we had Nina over to show her the house and she was pretty keen to get in to some demolition, so we let her loose on the downstairs area. This room we are doing a quick tidy up with a coat of paint and floor boards so we have a relatively fresh room to sleep in when we first move in, until our bedroom is ready.

So we started with this room:IMG_5734

Carefully removed the skirtings first:IMG_3324

Then Nina got hold of this:IMG_3321

And this happened:

IMG_3327 IMG_3328

I also had a bit of a go at it: 

Once the wardrobe was out, we began to remove the disgusting orange carpet only to uncover some tiles which look like they are brand new!

IMG_3331 IMG_3333

It was a pretty fun day and anyone who messes with me… I have Nina on my team, watch that video of her with that sledge hammer… be afraid! After photos coming soon!

Removing Supporting Wall: Support Beam

Today we had to take on probably one of the toughest, most risky projects, we had a 9 metre support beam lifted in to a hole in the side wall of the house. As we wish to remove a semi-supporting wall we need to add a beam in the attic to support the roof, otherwise we might wake up one night with the roof on us… so here is the story…

On Friday, this truck from Beijer Byggmaterial (shameless advertising for Sweden’s best building supplies store with the most awesome employees ;-)):

 

IMG_3122

Delivered us this beam…

IMG_3119

Unfortunately that truck was too small to lift the beam, as it needed to be lifted around 20 metres from the road to the house and up around 12 metres which a standard crane truck can’t do… So we called in the big guys. Per and his somewhat larger crane truck…IMG_4893 (1)

 

At this point I left the site and let David take over. I felt like this was dangerous and risky and was really glad to get out of there! Here is what happened next….

Some precision crane driving (I think it took only 2 attempts), lifted the beam flat to the hole which Fredrik had cut from the facade.

IMG_4896

David was outside guiding it in to Fredrik who was in the attic pulling the 180kg beam in to the attic.

 

 

 

IMG_4897

IMG_4898

IMG_4899

 

All three of them then pulled the full beam in to the attic where we will soon secure it in place so we can remove the wall.

 

IMG_4901

I then could return to the site to see the beam safely in the attic ready for my new floorplan to start to come in to shape.

 

 

photo (3)

Let the demolition begin! 🙂

Upstairs 3D Floorplan

Today we went to take some measurements of the house and sign some papers to pay the deposit… YIKES! Now that I have the measurements I decided to try to mock up some 3D plans which are to scale, or close to.

Below is my first attempt at making 3D plans, click on the images to enlarge. I haven’t even started on designing downstairs yet, upstairs is our priority! This program is called www.floorplanner.com and is super fun but takes some time and practice. There is also the 2D version I created with this program shown below, basically you create this first and then it generates the 3D images.20130405135008 20130405135217 20130405135350Capture 20130405135417 20130405135447 20130405135524